If you are selling any type of “tangible good” in the state of California you are required to obtain a seller’s permit from the California Board of Equalization. Using a private permit and license filing service agency for your seller’s permit can help expedite the process while avoiding much of the hassle of waiting in line and/or experiencing delays that are typically encountered when going directly through a state agency. Read on to learn more about how to best obtain this invaluable document that is essential for your business’ success.
What is the Difference Between a Tangible Good and a Non-Tangible Good
A tangible good is something that you can actually physically touch or “put your hands on.”
A tangible good differs from something like professional advice or a computer program which cannot be physically touched and so is considered a “non-tangible good.”
Who Needs to Obtain a Seller’s Permit
In California the following types of business entities are required to obtain a seller’s permit:
- Individuals selling tangible goods in California
- Limited Liability Corporations (LLCs) selling tangible goods in the state of California
- Corporations selling tangible goods in the state of California
- Partnerships selling in California
- Businesses operating in the state of California with corporate offices outside of California
What is Needed to Apply for a Seller’s Permit in California?
When either applying in person or using an agency to obtain a seller’s permit in California, you will need to have the following information available:
- The type of business that is applying (corporation, LLC, partnership or individual)
- The exact business name
- Driver’s license or state issued identification card of the owner or officer of the company applying
- Business address and telephone number
- Social Security number of the individual applying
- Projected monthly sales
Advantages of Using a Private Filing Service Agency to Apply for a Seller’s Permit in California
In addition to avoiding the long lines at state offices when applying for a permit to sell items in California, there are also many other advantages of going through a private permit and license filing service agency that will save you time and frustration.
These advantages include conducting multiple checks for errors to avoid having to resubmit your application and expediting your application to save time.
Using a private seller’s permit and licensing service can save you time, money and aggravation and can ensure that your permit application is submitted properly and without errors. These types of agencies can also expedite your application to get your business up and running as quickly as possible.