The Simple List of Everything You Need When Moving House
Congratulations on your new home! Perhaps you’re excited and exhausted at the same time. Or you may be feeling like you don’t know where to begin with all the preparations and arrangements that need to be made. A new home and new journey in life can be pretty overwhelming.
The move may also be taking up a lot of your time and efforts. Whether you’re downsizing or upsizing, tree-changing, or sea-changing, most individuals move home several times in the course of their lives. But it doesn’t make it any less stressful or tiring.
But to help take away any unnecessary strain and anxiety, it’s vital to have a checklist of some of the items you will undoubtedly need when you are moving home. A comprehensive checklist is crucial when it comes to moving. With a detailed checklist, it’ll be easy for you to pack your treasures and move with the least amount of disruption and stress.
General Packing and Moving Tips
When you’re packing your house items, it’s highly likely that you may come across belongings that you have not used in a while. Moving house offers you a great opportunity to clean and throw away anything you may not want to have in the new home.
It’s the perfect time to declutter! Have a volume estimate from an expert moving professional if you’re not sure whether you need to downsize to fit everything into the new home.
It’s vital to pack up safely and accurately. This may take up a significant amount of time. The more effort you put into packing, the easier it will be to unpack at the other end. Ensure that your treasures are appropriately packed. This will help reduce the risk of damaging your property during relocation.
Checklist and Tips
Perhaps you may think that two months out from the moving day is too early to start creating a moving checklist. But the key to a great and successful move is early preparation. Moving house takes longer than you may expect. In the process, obstacles may pop up along the way. This is especially true when you’re packing your items by yourself. By following a comprehensive checklist, you offer yourself a greater chance of enjoying a painless and effective move.
The Comprehensive List
- Saving- Moving is expensive. You will need to budget for all the various aspects including finding transport as well as paying the handyman and movers. Some homeowners or landlords may ask for two month’s rent as well as a deposit if you are moving into rental accommodation. This is costly so you may need to save for some time in advance.
- Lock in all your removalists. This is the right time to obtain various quotes from professionals who specialise in removals. To have a safe and stress-free move, speak to one of the local moving professionals. You may also request a home-visit to assess their professionalism.
- Notify your utility company– Let the relevant utility company know of your departure.
- Confirm your moving date- Movers need to give a call to confirm their availability before you settle on a moving date.
- You need pet transport– If you are a pet owner, then you may need to consider organising for pet relocation services. This will make moving your pet easy and safe
- You need a handyman to facilitate the moving process– If either your old or new home requires maintenance you should hire a handyman to help you to move the items out. A professional mover will carry out the items in an organised manner.
- Check the paperwork– Keep your budget on track. This can be achieved by creating a list of the moving expenses. This list should have items of the required things before moving. Create a folder for your moving documentation. It should include quotes as well as receipts. Collect important documents such as birth certificate and passports. Store them in a folder.
- Find secure storage– Perhaps you need long term storage for your items. A last minute, back-up storage solution may also come in handy. Contact a storage professional to help you find a solution because you may get cheaper storage options.
- Collect free boxes– Collect free boxes from different stores such as office supply, grocery stores, and restaurants. You may also visit the local book store. They may have boxes that you could find helpful in your move.
- Research different packing hacks– When it comes to moving, you always wish that you could do more. Perhaps organise differently or plan more. Research the best packing hacks to help you organise your items. Go through this comprehensive guide.
- Label your boxes– Use different colors to label your moving boxes. You may also use coloured stickers for each box. You’ll find it easy to identify your items as you move.
- Take care of your bolts and screws – In its simplest form, moving is tiresome. It’s important to make it easier by storing all the bolts and screws in one box. Label it clearly. You’ll be glad you did it because it’ll help you keep everything organised.
- You Need a Removal Company- Before hiring a company that handles moving, ask your neighbours and friends for their recommendations. Shop around for estimates. You may also look at the British Association of Removers to gain access to estimates. If you hire one of the union’s members, you can rest assured that you’re protected by their code of ethics.
- The removal company should come in early- Now that you have chosen a removal company to help you to move houses, ask for a quotation and organise a visit. The team should see your items in order to have an idea of how much they will be moving to your new house.
When it comes to moving houses, holding things that you may no longer need makes the move unnecessarily costly and hard work. Whether your house is big or small, you should tour every room and check for items you don’t need. Give them away or sell them. Moving costs will depend on the things you need to transport to the new house. The less you need to move, the cheaper the whole process will be for you.